Monday, March 24, 2008

Some Problem Solving

After this morning's group critique, I played around a little bit with solving the weight issue at the bottom of these boots. The original sketch had a solid bottom (like on the far right) which I changed later due to the fact that it'd be competing with the diamond pattern above. With the current lack of weight on the bottom however, I went ahead and tried it again since other shoes in my set don't all include a single black element. The middle set of boots above is a slightly thickened up version of the original.

I wanted to solve the issues in black and white first, so right now it's a matter of deciding which direction is making it work more effectively while still following the rules of my set.

As far as names are going: just playing around with combining the words "travel" and "sole" (referencing both the "sole" of the shoe" and the "soul"):

- The Traveler's Sole
- The Sole Traveler
- Traveling Soles

Earlier in class, Chao also brought up the idiom "All Walks of Life".  Reading up on the meaning a bit, it relates not only to occupations but different levels of social position and achievement. Could also be an interesting direction in that all of the shoes are representative of different lifestyles and cultures. Some shoes symbolize higher social classes (lotus shoes), while others can relate to the common people (huarache sandals).

No comments: