Friday, September 19, 2008

Visual Language: Final Posters + Statement

During the course of the project, I wanted to try and embrace culture at the same level that the Latino community does. All items in the posters were handmade: something that runs deep in much of Mexico's visual landscape and culture. For the Loteria poster, I created a parody of a common bingo game and replaced the original illustrations with issues my demographic is concerned with, addressing the issue of risk involved when one chooses not to vote. The punched paper poster also works as a parody of festive decorations. Along with this, there is a more subtle metaphor related to change as the decorations grow more intricate, as well as a synecdoche by using the US map to represent the country and its people. This represents the election and the right to vote as something worth celebrating, just as any other holiday or festivity. Looking back through my process, it seems like lateral thinking through semiotics and rhetorical devices have definitely aided in getting me to places I wouldn't have otherwise.


No comments: